Monday, December 10, 2007

Grandparent's day


It was grandparents day at school today but there were no grandparents for my girls and everyone wondered where they were because they came to every other event. I thought twice about taking them to the party today because it was not their regular day and my parents are in Israel, knowing how much the girls enjoy school, I took them. I think they had a nice time. They saw their teachers, played with their friends, made delicious latkas and ate them. The grandparents that were their enjoyed their grandchildren and hovered over all the children including Jordan who tried to sit in the rocker, climb the step stool and crawl across the table.
Actually everyone hovered, that was my main observation for the day. The adults in the room hovered over the children while they played, while they ate and while they sat. I do not hover. I do not watch my children's every move. I let them try to do something without help first and then help them when they need it and if they ask for it. I noticed that they often help the kids before the kids even attempt it on their own. I realize that I am a rare breed but I like the fact that the kids try to figure things out on their own and don't wait for someone to assist them with every task. I know when I hear Lior say "I pine" or Sydney say "I do it myself" that they are working out a task, using their brains and developing their independence. I also know that it would be much faster and easier if they would just let me help them or even faster, let me do it for them. But I made a decision when they were little and needed a lot attention and assistance, they were going to have to start helping and doing for themselves. Now they are independent little girls who can (just to name a few) dress and undress themselves, wash their hands, eat with a fork and spoon and who are learning how to cut with a knife. Not bad for twenty seven month-olds!

No comments: