Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A different world

The world is a completely different place than it was when I was a child. Today I was pumping gas at BJ's when a cute older gentleman pulled up behind me and got out of his car to ask me how to use the pump. About fifteen seconds into my explanation, it dawned on me that he was trying to distract me so someone could attempt to steal Jordan from the car. How crazy and paranoid is that? The chances that someone would actually do something as sick as that are slim but she was sitting in the car with her window open while I started the pump.
Needless to say, Jordan was safe and this man really wanted direction on how to use the pump but the idea that someone would come up and snatch her is very real and something I think about constantly. Now that the big girls like to walk in the mall, I am constantly in a state of panic. I must scan the area a thousand times a second to make sure they are in my line of vision. I sound like a very tough mean mommy at the mall because the girls do not get second chances, it is either walk with me or get in the stroller. They are learning and I really don't have to remind them of the rule that often but if I do they know I mean business.

No comments: