Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's a sushi party



Today is my dad's seventieth birthday. I have discovered that when you have little kids in the house birthdays are a very big deal, so we had several discussions about Grandpa's birthday and what kind of party he should have. Originally they thought a princess party would be the ideal party for their "Poppa" but since he is a boy they had to rule it out, that is when Lior suggested we have a sushi party for him. When Lior told her Grandpa about her idea it was set in stone because he loves to spoil his grandchildren just about as much as he loves to eat sushi.
We started planning the sushi party earlier this week and tried to figure out a cake that grandpa could eat because of his diabetes. I settled on a sugar free mud pie with sushi decorations for him and a full on sugar high cake for the rest of us. It was by far the easiest cake I ever made and perhaps the most fun! The sushi looked real and tasted great, just like our sushi dinner!
Our day was spent celebrating with Grandpa, Grandma and Uncle Eric who came in to help us eat sushi and celebrate Grandpa's big day. We visited our friend Joy's community pool where the kids are allowed to swim in the "big pool". Jordan was asleep when we arrived and joined the fun late and it took her a very long time to warm up but when she did she managed to worm her way into Eric's heart. Sydney and Lior had a great time swimming and going under the water. By the end of the day Sydney was actually swimming to the steps. Not bad for a kid who was not willing to go into the pool in the beginning. It was my dad who got her to relax and enjoy herself. By the time I got into the water Eric and Grandpa were playing catch with her and she was loving every minute of it.
I hope my dad enjoyed his sushi party and spending the day with his grandchildren and the rest of us. I think must have a good time because he let Sydney decorate his head with pink heart stickers. Happy Birthday WE LOVE YOU!!!
***Look for this post to be edited at a later date I'm having trouble with my brain (pain killers are a wonderful thing) and a few of the pictures, I might actually be able to formulate a sentence tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mick & Susan said...

Hey Debbie,

Hope this works! Been trying to post a comment....
Just wanted to drop you a note. Those "sushi" look awesome! I don't know how you find the time and energy to do all the things you do. You really are Super Mommy!
Enjoy ever minute of it....they really do grow up so fast. (Boy do I feel old!)
I enjoy reading all about your adventures! Keep up all the good work! It definately pays off in the end :)
Love - Susan & Mick