Thursday, February 21, 2008

Nap time

I love naps, I remember when Sydney and Lior loved their nap. I think it was when they were still sleeping in cribs. Once they started climbing out naps became more difficult and then my Danny and his family came to visit and they started napping in the car. Once they left I attempted to have them nap in their beds but they were far to busy playing with their dolls and books to nap, so I encouraged them to nap in the car. Since I can not sit home this seemed like a logical solution and Jordan was very happy napping in her car seat.
We would start our day off at about ten, do something and then the girls would fall asleep in the car and I would have about two hours of peace and quiet. Sometimes Matt and I were even able to have lunch at his office while the girls slept. On several occasions I parked the car in front of the offices bay doors and took a nap while Matt watched the car.
Now that the girls are in school two days a week getting them down for a nap is increasingly difficult. I have decided that it is very important for Jordan to start sleeping in her crib, so naps in the car are becoming a thing of the past. With a new baby coming it is going to be very important for her to start sleeping in her crib at the same time every day. The tricky part is making her stay awake until after one every afternoon when she really needs to nap at eleven. I am trying to keep her busy by running errands that involve getting out of the car. It seems to be working and she is getting a very good nap every day in her crib.
The big girls are another story. I have decided that they can not be in the same room for nap time. Lior and Sydney will play non stop. On Sunday, I layed down in our bedroom with Sydney while Matt layed down on the couch with Lior. After about twenty minutes both Sydney and I were out cold. After about two hours Matt was suffering from a concussion and nursing several bruises and neither of them had slept a wink. On Monday I took Sydney into our bed at nap time and Lior sat in baby jail and watched twenty minutes of Cinderella while Sydney and I slept. While I was laying with Sydney I heard Lior yell out "Jordan, Sydney come play with me", "Mommy come play with me", and "Hello, I in here" to name a few. Needless to say she did not nap. I of course felt incredibly guilty because I was not cuddling her to sleep.
Today I tried to lay down in bed with both of them after school but it did not work because Lior did not want to sleep. "It still day time, it not night time, the light is on outside..." and on and on. Even Sydney got in on the action and started to complain, although she did offer to cuddle Lior several times. She even had Lior put her head down on her belly and stroked her hair for a few seconds. Lior just could not calm down enough to sleep so she wound up back in baby jail, alone. I would like to say that Sydney went to sleep but she did not and spent the rest of the afternoon extremely cranky.
This weekend I am going to keep the girls home to nap and try to figure out a way to get all of my children to nap at the same time like they used too.

No comments: