Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gym class blues

I took the kids to the Little Gym for the big girls class today where I was approached by the owner of the gym. He wanted to know if I had help I could bring to the gym on Wednesdays because he was worried about Jordan's safety. He explained that he would hate for her to fall and have it come back on him. He noticed that she is becoming independent and hanging from her feet. I politely explained that while Jordan may be a wild woman she demonstrates extreme caution and was in fact very safe (and has never hung from her feet). I further explained that Jordan does not realize that she is not two and is not able to do the same things her sisters can. He listened and then started to ask me about her age and the ages of the big girls because her thought they would be able to be in the same class. All of the sudden a conversation about my daughters safety turned into a conversation about something completely different, money. He was more concerned that Jordan was getting something for nothing than he was about her safety. How would her safety increase if she were enrolled in a class that was develpmentally inappropriate for her?
After much conversation I explained to him that when I first enrolled the girls in the class I made sure with his staff that I would be able to bring Jordan to each class because I did not have help. As she grew the instructors encouraged me to put her down on the mat and let her have fun and she has. As soon as it was appropriate I signed Jordan up for her own class when the girls were in school. When I signed the girls up for the class this semester, which started last week, they were very well aware of Jordan's abilities and my lack of help yet they were more than happy to take our money.
I am very aware that Jordan is not developmentally appropriate for the big girls class. As much as she tries she is just not ready to fully participate in that class. When I bring her I keep a very close eye on her and my girlfriend Joy does as well. I do not let her try the skills that the big girls are doing and do not ask the instructors to do anything with her because it is not her class. I try not to take advantage, I am not looking for something for nothing. I enrolled her in her own class because she deserves to be in a class that moves at her speed and is suited for her developmental age. Can you tell he annoyed me? I really think that he was very condescending towards me and was trying to pull one over on me. I do not like that feeling. I do not think he would have treated Matt that way had he brought the girls to the gym instead of me.
The bottom line is that the kids love going to the gym and I would hate to pull them away from it but his is not the only program out there. I spent a little time this evening looking for another program for Jordan this summer while the girls are in camp. She really loves the gym and it has done so much for her physically but I am certianly not married to this particular program. So the search will continue and Jordan, Lior and Sydney will go to the gym like they usually do until I can find them another place.

No comments: