Saturday, January 5, 2008

Our love of books


Our kids love books. It was one of their first words. I can remember Sydney and Lior bringing us books instead of toys when they were first learning to walk. Jordan now walks over to us with a book in her hand and says read or book. She also enjoys taking every single book off the new book shelf but she is only fourteen months old (almost). I hope that by teaching them this early to read books that we are creating children who love to read.
We spend at least the first hour of our day reading books. Sometimes it is the same book over and over again and sometimes it is ten different ones. The girls know the names of most of our books and will recite lines from their favorites. Lior likes Hey! Wake Up!, the last time Matt tried to take a nap on the couch Lior stood in front of him, book in hand, saying "Hey! Wake Up!, you read dis?" She also sits in her car seat and recites the book and laughs.
We have books that we only read upstairs before bed. Tiger Can't Sleep was possibly their favorite book until Lior decided that the tiger was waking her up at night. Sydney adores this book and can not sit still while we read about Tiger's silly behavior while the little boy is trying to go to sleep. I am hoping that we can bring it back into the rotation soon because I miss reading it to them. They also love Llama, Llama Red Pajama and we read that one almost every night also. That one is just fun to read and takes about a minute for us to get through. The Great Gracie Chase has very quickly become one of the girls all time favorites. It helps that Matt loves it as much as they do.
I love the books that the girls can read by themselves, Blue Hat, Green Hat is a great example of a book that they love to read to us. I often walk into baby jail and find Sydney sitting there reading that book and laughing to herself. We are trying to get Jordan to sit still long enough so that Sydney can read it to her.
There are so many other books that our girls just love it makes me think about some of the books we read as children. I have tried to read some of them to the girls and I am amazed by how boring they are. Was Babar ever interesting? Right now I read it to the girls to bore them to sleep. I know it is a classic but there are so many great kids books out there today that just put Babar to shame. I can't wait to read the Madeline series to them because I can still remember some of the stories and how each story started.
I hope there is always excitement when we discover a new book that we just love to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noam FINALLY let me read him a Madeline book and he was mesermerized. I read it really dramatically emphasizing the rhyming and rythm. He was on the edge of his seat and hanging on every sentence. We're going to go through the collection together.
Luv,
DR