Friday, August 24, 2007

Caution


Sydney and Lior are independent, strong willed and confident. I raised them to be independent, they are strong willed because I am and they are confident because they are independent and strong willed. I want them to stay that way, maybe a little less strong willed, but I think all these qualities go hand in hand.

Last night at the orientation for preschool the teacher made a big deal about how by the end of the school year they would be able to turn on the water, get the soap and wash their hands independently. Sydney and Lior already do it and they love to do it because they can and because they are their fathers children. Today at school I needed to remind their teacher that Sydney and Lior are more than capable of washing their hands by themselves. I also needed to remind her that they were more than capable of climbing up and down the small step stool by themselves. It makes me very nervous to see someone be overly cautious with my fiercely independent little girls because I want them to stay that way.

I like that after I show Sydney how to do something once she sits there until she figures out how to do it. How many two year-olds do you know that can put on their own socks and shoes, on the correct feet? Both girls can take off their clothes and get dressed again without assistance. They both climb onto the toilet by themselves, zip and unzip zippers and can open some containers without help. They are pretty fantastic and I worry that they will learn a certain level of helplessness from someone who does not understand all that they can do.

Matt thinks the teacher is just nervous and we should let her get used to the school and our girls spectacular abilities. I have no problem with that and I intend on waiting to get this teacher on board. As long as it doesn't take too long and she doesn't mind a few reminders from a mother who know what her children are capable of doing now and who knows what they will be capable of doing at the end of the year.

No comments: